The Parable of the Atheist and the Theist
An atheist and a theist went for a walk in the woods and came upon a glass ball about eight feet in diameter. They both wondered where it came from and agreed that someone or something must have put it there. The theist then asked, “If the ball were sixteen feet in diameter, would it still need a cause?
"Of course," replied the atheist. "If little spheres need causes, then so do larger ones."
"Ah, so," said the theist, "then what if it were eight thousand miles in diameter-would it still need a cause?"
The atheist paused and said, "Yes, if little spheres need causes and larger ones do too, then a really big one would also need a cause."
Then the theist said, "What if we make a ball as big as the whole universe: would it still need a cause?"
"Of course not," snapped the atheist. "The universe is just there!"
Norman Geisler, If God, Why Evil?, p. 15.
50 Notes/ Hide
- animatedbylove likes this
- maharlika23 likes this
- show-me-your-lewd-self likes this
- penguindelight likes this
- goodreasonnews likes this
- jidfurikuri likes this
- biognosis likes this
- varangoi likes this
- ishkabibbling likes this
- atheistasshole likes this
- gajah-ungu likes this
- daydreamenthusiast likes this
- youthxcrew69 likes this
- blasphlegme likes this
- wordhord likes this
- creatorbreakdown likes this
- project-argus likes this
- thenewenlightenmentage likes this
- letalltheearthrejoice likes this
- lynnanine likes this
- lilmissocd likes this
- angelasoup likes this
- thynameisfrancis likes this
- madmuliebrity likes this
- meangrrrls likes this
- i-killed-god reblogged this from gods-advocate and added:
- goddisproven reblogged this from gods-advocate and added:
- endless-season reblogged this from gods-advocate
- gamutman reblogged this from gods-advocate and added:
- heyitsusman said: This is clever and usable…but any atheist worth any stones would dismantle it pretty quickly I’d imagine. Does Geisler talk about reactions to this parable?
- gods-advocate posted this